Darlington School's Online Student News Source

Darlingtonian

Darlingtonian

Darlingtonian

Boys’ Varsity Basketball Team Ends Spectacular Playoff Run Against Savannah

Dj Hall (9)

After triumphing over St. Francis and Athens Christian with impressive performances, the team lost in a tight game against Savannah in the Elite 8. 

“We did well defensively; it was one of our best defensive performances as a team,” Freshman Dj Hall said. “We executed our plans and performed when the pressure was on and got our reward.”

Unfortunately, the girls’ team got knocked out against St. Pisgah in the first round. However, the boys team put on a show against St. Francis and the crowd showed their support in the last home game of the season. The boys took this to their advantage and got the win, securing them a spot in the Sweet 16. The team defended as a unit and played passionately; they earned the qualification. The final score was 61-52. However, as the team progressed, they faced more challenges and adversity. 

“It all came down to who wanted it the most because the environment was hectic. Brent Bell came in clutch as well … A lot of us were in foul trouble, though,” Hall said.

The pressure was on. Playing an away game in the Sweet 16, the boys had to work hard for their win. The team worked, and sophomore Brent Bell showed out with 27 points, helping the team secure the win. The final score was 64-54. With this, they qualified for the Elite Eight, where they played Savannah. 

“The atmosphere was just crazy. The foul count was also outrageous; the referees greatly favored Savannah,” Hall said.

The team put their most effort into this game, but the circumstances were not favorable. The boys ended their playoff run with a 4-point loss (51-47) to Savannah. This capped a triumphant season for them. They finished with a total record of 24-6. 

“We worked hard but ultimately the result didn’t fall in our favor. All in all, We had a special run. I’m happy to have been part of this team,” Hall said.