Darlington School's Online Student News Source

Darlingtonian

Darlingtonian

Darlingtonian

Darlington Varsity Wrestling Celebrates Senior Night

Varsity+wrestlers+Jack+Chander+%2812%29%2C+Aden+Davis+%2812%29%2C+Hendrix+Jones+%2812%29+and+Ross+Tidwell+%2812%29+celebrate+their+senior+night.+
Gabriel Woodard
Varsity wrestlers Jack Chander (12), Aden Davis (12), Hendrix Jones (12) and Ross Tidwell (12) celebrate their senior night.

Darlington School recently recognized their seniors during the last home game of the season.

Hendrix Jones is a senior day student. Hendrix wrestled freshman year, but just returned for his senior season. 

“It’s my first year back since freshman year and I can tell that Coach has put in the work to gather more wrestlers,” Jones said, “so we are able to actually have a chance in a dual or tri meet.” 

Darlington wrestling’s track record hasn’t been too great in the past, but this year the team won 2 meets after not winning for years. 

“We have won 2 meets, which is a big deal since Darlington has not won one in years. I’ve enjoyed this season a lot,” Jones said. “I have been able to be around friends and I am excited to travel with the team for State this year.”

Ty Woods is a freshman day student. This is his first year wrestling for the high school team. 

“This wrestling season we have been faced with many good opponents,” Woods said. “The team has worked well together.” 

This year, the seniors played a huge role on the wrestling team. They helped out with coaching underclassmen and leading the team under Coach Edwards. 

“Our seniors have helped us through this season and have gotten us to where we are now,” Woods said.

Coach Edwards has been the head wrestling coach for the past 2 years. 

“This is my second year at Darlington as the head wrestling coach,” Edwards said. “We have improved middle school numbers, high school numbers, and started a K-5 program this year.”

Edwards is very proud of his team this year and has brought wrestling to all age groups at Darlington. 

“We hosted a USA wrestlers youth/MS tournament with 8 mats and 584 wrestlers,” Edwards said. “The future is very bright for Darlington wrestlers” 

Coach Edwards loves wrestling and is very happy more students are participating. With more students participating, the team is able to participate in more events. 

“With 14 weight classes, it is very difficult to win a head-to-head dual meet without filling all 14 classes because you give the other team 6 points for every weight class you don’t have a wrestler,” Edwards said. “So, to win two team dual meets this year, I am very proud of our seniors and team.” 

Edwards is very proud of the seniors this season. He accredits them for some of the other team members’ success. 

“We have had a very good season led by seniors Aden Davis, Jack Chandler, Hendrix Jones, and Ross Tidwell,” Edwards said. “Our team members have increased from 5 last year to 12 this year.”