Darlington School's Online Student News Source

Darlingtonian

Darlingtonian

Darlingtonian

U17 Soccer Academy Has Positive Expectations For Remainder of 23/24 Season

With an NPL league record of 4-2-2, the u17 boys soccer academy played 2 crucial matches this past weekend. 

“We lost our focus and they capitalized on our mistakes,” Junior Jaeden Gordon said. 

The boys were up 2-0 at halftime but couldn’t subdue, ending the game with a 2-2 draw. As a result they were only awarded 1 point, which could’ve been ‘detrimental’ if they didn’t win their upcoming game. The u17 team claimed to have a ‘solid’ first half but a lack of concentration resulted in a ‘sloppy’ second half. Now with a playoff spot on the line, they had to triumph in their upcoming game against UFA Metro. 

“We really just knew that we had to fight as a team, knowing we should’ve won our previous game … we had to come out with 3 points or else we would’ve been in a tough situation,” Gordon said.   

Subsequent to a 2-2 draw, the u17 team needed a win or else they would’ve been in question to make the playoffs. After a ‘tough’ first half, losing 1-0, the u17 team needed to overcome the adversity in order to prosper. Ensuing a ‘strong’ second half, the team pulled a 4-1 comeback, bringing them up on the table with a 4-2-2 record. The boys want to keep flourishing as they go into the second half of their NPL season. 

“We’re trying to make sure that we don’t lose focus, and that we carry games out continuously … at this rate, we can make the playoffs,” Gordon said. 

Will they crash under pressure, or will they be able to be tenacious for the remainder of the season? Now that they’ve played all of the teams in the league, will they be able to capitalize on their weaknesses?

“We’ve been taking note of these team’s weaknesses, and will be able to capitalize on them when it really matters,” Gordon said.