Darlingtonian

Tennis Match against Central Carrollton

Hank Crawford, Staff Writer

The boys and girls tennis teams both faced Central Carrollton at home in an early season match against a higher classification. The boys had a great win to keep their undefeated season going, while the girls played a very tough match against tough competition, but came out on the wrong side.

“Last match against Central Carrollton was a great win for the team. It was a great challenge the further prepared us for upcoming matches,” sophomore Dawson Williams said.

Though the girls didn’t come out on top as they would have like, the experience gained from playing a solid match against team of a higher classification and competition is going to be very valuable for them moving forward in the season.

“They had a really good team so it was really tough competition and even though we didn’t win everyone had good matches,” sophomore Grace Watters said.

Leadership has played a big part in the boys success this season as many of the players are younger and less experienced, so the few older guys on the team have had to step up and lead.  

“I think that i need to look up to the leader of the team, David Hagler, and learn more from him about his work ethic and how to improve mentally and physically,” freshman Tate Roberts said.

Tennis requires great athletic ability, but possibly more than that it requires great mental toughness and focus. This mental toughness and focus has really helped propel the Tigers to their undefeated record and success.

“I think the whole team’s mindset helped us win the match. We had laser focus and a “no mercy” mindset that helped us throughout our matches,” Roberts said.

The Tigers look forward to another great opportunity to get a win against a tough opponent in Holy Innocents in another home match.

“Although the boys varsity team hasn’t run into any real competition yet, we have progressed as a team since our first match. We have a fantastic range of players this year and are going to put up a fight against some of our tougher competition,” senior David Hagler said.