Darlington School's Online Student News Source

Darlingtonian

Darlingtonian

Darlingtonian

Darlington Going Green: Earth Day

Mina Zoroe (11), Agatha Blocker (11)

On April 18, the Upper School anticipated Earth Day on April 22 through a presentation in the chapel by Barbara Kuckhoff and the Darlington Green Team.

“The Green Team is a club in Darlington whose purpose is to protect the environment in Darlington School and spread awareness about things like air and water pollution,” junior Daelyn Lee said.

It is a student-led and eco-friendly club that works to incorporate more green-friendly initiatives in school. In light of worsening climate change, the Green Team believed it was important to create a presentation to inform students about potentially environmentally harmful actions they participated in, and they shared alternatives to protect the environment.

“The purpose of this was to share ways to save our planet and combat the large amounts of carbon emissions to help make a better planet,” sophomore Olivia Chen said.

Not only did they share environmental protection initiatives to keep Darlington green, but also to protect the planet as a whole. Green Team members shared that many students are not well informed about things such as recycling. Thus, they believed it was important to promote ways for people to reduce their carbon footprint through everyday activities such as carpooling with friends.

“Climate change is an urgent issue for the whole world to resolve this problem together…[and] the best way to start is right at home,” Green Team sponsor Barbara Kuckhoff said.

Darlington students can participate in the fight against climate change and Green Team members believe people must be well-informed about its effects. Kuckhoff shared that each year has set new record high average temperatures. Earth Day is an important day recognized worldwide to continue sharing the importance of environmental protection and green initiatives.

“We only have this world. If we don’t pay attention to our small actions, it may seem okay in the present, but in 100 years, it could have major consequences. We need to think about our actions and contribute to change in the world,” senior and president of the Green Team Taylor Zhang said.