Darlington School's Online Student News Source

Darlingtonian

Darlingtonian

Darlingtonian

Robotics Team Qualifies for World Championship

Ansel Enverga (11), Charlie May (12), An Nguyen (11), Linda Pan (11), Javin Pandya (11) and Tom Bian (11)

In 2015, our school’s robotics team managed to make it to the world championship, and now, seven years later, our Robotics team “4100” has done it again.

“This was such an incredible opportunity to represent our school after so long. I kept thinking about how I’m finally getting exposed to what’s out there and how thousands of people with the same skills and interests are in the same situation,” junior Javin Pandya said.

“I was relieved when we saw that we made it to ‘worlds’ and the team worked incredibly hard all season on the robot,” robotics teacher Matt Nolin said. “To see how it started off versus what eventually made it to worlds is a pretty neat look into the overall design process.”

The programmers spent their time after school writing programs and quizzes for the robots, although there were a lot of problems along the way.

“For me, I faced some inconsistency issues with the robot at the world competition with programming,” junior Ansel Enverga said. “The robot did not do the same things that it was programmed to do back at our school. However, it wasn’t too bad and we fixed it before several matches.” 

“I faced challenges with rewriting programs and constantly needing to change these programs,” Pandya said.

At the competition, they also encountered some difficulties and unanticipated mishaps

“We had a lot of mechanical and programming issues with our robot during the matches that had never happened before,” Enverga said. “We believe it was due to our robot being damaged when shipped to Houston.”

“The robot just kept falling apart unlike anything before. We also didn’t get as much time as we wanted to at the practice fields,” Pandya said. “This made syncing our programs with other teams much harder.”

Team 4100 did their best in the competition and the teachers are happy with their performance

“I’m proud of what the team accomplished this year and they should be too,” Nolin said. “Going up against the best in the state and then to be able to qualify for the world championships is pretty impressive.”