Online

Darlingtonian

Tips for the College Fair

RuthAnne Anderson

RuthAnne Anderson

Abby Sklar, Editor-in-Chief

No matter if you are a freshman or a senior, the College Fair is overwhelming. There are so many colleges, many of which you’ve never heard of. Here is a list of things you can do to make this experience more helpful and less stressful.

1. Preview the list of colleges. This year, there are more than 170 colleges attending, so look at the list beforehand to decide which ones you want to see so you won’t wander around aimlessly.
  2. That being said, don’t be afraid to look at schools you are unfamiliar with. It is impossible to know about every school in the country, so go and ask questions and maybe you’ll find a school that interests you that you never imagined.
  3. Introduce yourself. Don’t be afraid to go up to a table and introduce yourself to the admissions representative. They are typically very friendly and want to talk to you about their school. Shake their hand and thank them afterward.
  4. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Come up with a couple of questions that you want answered, so you can compare schools in what really matters to you. Some good questions can be found here.
  5. Definitely sign up to receive emails from a school if you’re interested, but don’t feel obligated to do it for every school. I promise you that if you put your email down, they will email you. Nonstop. Forever.
  6. Grab brochures from schools you’re interested in. They are a great way to keep track of information and a great resource to show your parents later. But don’t grab a brochure from every school and don’t feel obligated to grab one from every school or from everywhere your friends get one. They will clutter up your room for four years, trust me.
  7. Don’t hog the admissions representative. Many of your peers also have an interest in the schools you do and would love the opportunity to communicate with the representative. That being said, don’t let questions you have go unanswered, you can always ask for them for a business card or a way to get into contact with the school if you have more questions.

At the end of the day, remember that the College Fair is a great resource for you to get comfortable speaking to college admissions representatives. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and make the most of the College Fair.