Darlington School's Online Student News Source

Darlingtonian

Darlingtonian

Darlingtonian

Darlington Visits the National High School Journalism Convention

Darlington’s communications arts’ (inkslinger, yearbook, and newsroom) leaders visited Boston, MA, for the National High School Journalism Convention (NSPA) on November 2nd and 3rd to learn more about future opportunities and skills in student journalism.

“During the trip, I attended multiple sessions about leadership and learned more about what it means to be a leader. It helped me to grow my confidence and find ways to improve Inkslinger as a whole,” Junior Julia Beauchamp said.

The NSPA was an opportunity for student leaders to engage with professionals in the field of journalism. Darlington’s communication arts groups are working to improve their skills and determine future endeavors and methods to run themselves. Moreover, students met with professionals who had personal connections to Darlington.

“We had dinner with a Darlington alumnus, and she was the editor-in-chief of Darlington’s 2013 yearbook,” Senior Ariel Xu said.

The dinner allowed the students to gain further insight into journalism as a career. They were also given pointers on implementing what they learned during the convention, which they said were helpful for their skills as leaders and journalists. However, it was a learning experience and a fun one where they could bond and strengthen their relationships.

“The trip to Boston was so fun, and I learned a lot!” Beauchamp said.