Darlingtonian

Steer Smart

Kahjae Douglas, Staff Writer

Prior to prom, Darlington’s senior class was called upon for a meeting with the leader and Founder of Steer Smart Lauren Winborn. This course focuses on decisions and consequences from decisions made specifically in cars. Whether a youth is a driver or a passenger, they will learn that there are ramifications from every decision made behind the wheel.

Winborn spoke with the seniors about making decisions on the road, and in a car whether passenger or driver. She showed examples of deceased students our age or people who have, in some way, had their lives altered by a car accident.

But to some it was unclear where she was attempting to go with the whole speech.

“I felt she didn’t have a clear point,” senior Tigger Frix said. “One second it was don’t drive drunk then the next it was even if you don’t drive drunk you’re still screwed.”

Though some thought this lecture was a waste of valuable time with no real information to take from it others thought it was helpful.

“I think it was very helpful to seniors who are about to start driving because these things can happen to anyone.” Senior Paavo Riihijarvi said, “A lot of people thought it was a waste of time but I thought it was valuable and worth it. I would not want to be like anybody she gave us examples or be a person who did not listen when I was warned.”

This lecture came with a lot of mixed feelings from the senior class but it is information that could be useful in the future for many.