Darlingtonian

New Uniforms

Alexander Greene, Staff Writer

With the end of the 2017-2018 school year approaching, current students saw a change to their uniforms for the upcoming year.

The chapel day dress for Thursdays is getting a major change with the Oxfords and the skirts for the girls.

“In the upper school, the lavender Oxford for chapel day has been changed to a white Oxford with an embroidered crest logo,” Bookstore Manager Lindsay Woods said.

The girls skirts are changing from the texture to the color to create a more streamlined look.

“There’s a gray skirt that all 9-12th-grade females will be required to wear for Chapel. It’s the same style of skirt as the khaki skirts, it’s just in the solid gray material,” Woods said.  “The gray plaid is being discontinued by the manufacturer and will no longer be available.”

One benefit of getting these new uniforms is that there will not be a massive change, and many of the Polo’s can still be worn.

“Hopefully, it will be a seamless transition, the company [Uniform Source] is providing uniforms very similar in style and fabric to the uniforms that we currently use,” Woods said. “So, other than the different materials for the solid gray skirt versus the plaid and the white versus the lavender, you shouldn’t see a significant change.”

These uniforms will immediately be in effect at the start of the new school year.

“The new Chapel Day Dress will be applicable for all students next year.  The purple oxford shirts for boys and girls and the purple plaid skirt for girls will no longer be part of the uniform,” Director of Upper School Matthew Peer said.

The 2018-2019 uniforms are currently on sale now and will not be in effect until the beginning of the next school year.

“You can actually go to Lands End or Uniform Source, and purchase uniforms now. The official uniform guidelines will take place at the beginning of school next year.”