Darlingtonian

Galapagos Islands

Back to Article
Back to Article

Galapagos Islands

Alexander Greene, Staff Writer

In the fall, Owen Kinney, Science Department Chair, announced that there would be an opportunity for students to travel to Ecuador and explore the Galapagos Islands over Spring Break.

Twenty-two students stepped out of comfort zone to try new things and discover two unique places, Quito and the Galapagos Islands.

“My favorite thing on this trip was getting to go snorkeling and get closer to the other students that went on this trip and playing multiple games of soccer on the beach,” freshman Jayden Boswell said.

The Galapagos Islands is not an accessible island to travel to and many restrictions and rules apply to those who want to venture out.

“While in continental Ecuador we had a tour guide through the travel company we were using, Explorica,but once we arrived to the islands of the Galapagos we had to obtain specific local guides in order to stimulate local economy,” junior Beth-el Lewis said. “Without the local guides, most excursions would not be available to us.”

Students signed up for this trip looking for a once in a lifetime opportunity to see a world like no other over their Spring Break.

“I signed up as I believed it to be an unique opportunity to see the Galapagos Islands where only a limited number of people can go every year,” senior Sophia Kalusche said.

Also, this trip was a way to see how different the environment can be in other areas of the world.

“I learned a lot about the environmental dangers the Galapagos Islands are facing and the various attempts to secure the ecosystem,” Kalusche said.  “It literally starts with the tiny things such as removing all mud and sand from shoes when you are changing islands (if your shoes aren’t clean you are not allowed to get on the transfer boat).”