Darlington School's Online Student News Source

Darlingtonian

Darlingtonian

Darlingtonian

Head of School Art Gallery Opening Soon

Head of School Art Gallery Opening Soon

The Head of School Art Gallery is a gallery that shows 16 different student artists’ charcoal reduction pieces, a technique where you work in reverse.

“It provides an opportunity for exposure to people who come to visit the school,” Art teacher Cathy O’Mara said.

Mrs. O’Mara talked about why the gallery’s opening was delayed. “we are in the process of creating amazing custom mats. So rather than using a standard mat, which doesn’t always fit a standard picture, um, and so we’re in the process of doing that,” Says Mrs. O’Mara.

These custom mats are created by taking a mat board and cutting it to size so it is larger than the artwork. This caused their preparation time to increase.

16 students from 10th, 11th, and 12th grade pushed themselves to make their best artwork to be put on display. The gallery will show a variety of subject matters and techniques that students use in their artwork.

“It’s really fun because we have all kinds of different subject matters and also different techniques in different styles within that sort of one medium,” Mrs. O’Mara says.

The theme for this year’s art gallery is Art in 3D. All 8th to 12th-grade students in an art class participated in many different ways. Student photographers took pictures of landmarks and events while the older art students made charcoal reduction pieces. Mrs. O’Mara speaks about how difficult charcoal reduction pieces are.

“They’re all Going to be a charcoal reduction, um, pieces, which is one of the most challenging artworks you can create because it’s working in reverse,” Mrs. O’Mara says.

On October 26, 2023, the student photography exhibit opened. Photographs of landmarks and events around campus taken by 8th to 12th-grade students were shown off in the Head of School Art Gallery. These photos will continue to be on display through the Art in 3D exhibit. The gallery is located next to the Head of School, Brent Bell’s office.